Upper Fort Garry
In 1835, Upper Fort Garry began a 50-year reign as the centre for trade, the site of significant historic events and a true gateway to the West. Today, exciting plans are underway to reclaim and transform this legacy, at Main Street and Assiniboine, into a world class heritage park and interpretive centre for all Manitobans and visitors. We're writing the next chapter in the history of this important site.
On June 1, 2009, The Friends of Upper Fort Garry (FUFG) took ownership of the land and buildings at 100 Main Street as well as the Upper Fort Garry Gate property. The properties were conveyed to the FUFG after they met all conditions required by the City of Winnipeg, which included raising a total of $10 million and securing ownership of the Grain Exchange Curling Club.
To date, more than $10 million has been raised and the campaign continues. Every gift, both big and small, is important. That's because every gift represents the will to recognize the birthplace of Winnipeg and Manitoba and make it into a world-class Heritage Park and Interpretive Centre for everyone to enjoy.
For more information about Upper Fort Garry or to make a donation, please go to www.upperfortgarry.com.