Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) was created in 1994 to:
- link immigration services with citizenship registration
- promote the unique ideals all Canadians share and
- help build a stronger Canada.
What we do
Every day, CIC employees work with people from diverse cultures. They strive to serve them fairly, efficiently and with integrity. Our applicants can expect impartial, unbiased and professional treatment, as well as clear and accountable decision making.
- screens and approves for admission, immigrants, foreign students, visitors and temporary workers who help Canada’s social and economic growth
- resettles, protects and provides a safe haven for refugees
- helps newcomers adapt to Canadian society and become Canadian citizens
- manages access to Canada to protect the security and health of Canadians and the integrity of Canadian laws and
- helps Canadians and newcomers to participate fully in the economic, political, social and cultural life of the country.
- CIC works in partnership with several departments and agencies to carry out these activities.