Scotiabank Buskers Festival
The Forks is a favourite haunt of buskers (street performers). Visitors will often find family entertainment at distinctively marked “Scotiabank Busk Stops” throughout the site and inside The Forks Market where their light-hearted entertainment adds to the special ambience.
Busk Stops were introduced at The Forks in 1992. Since then, thousands of visitors to the site have been treated to a delightful and eclectic mix of local and touring talent by entertainment from musicians, puppeteers and magicians to jugglers, stilt walkers and face painters.
An annual competition is held to select who will earn the privilege of holding a coveted Busk Pass.
Traditionally the audience offers payment based on the level of enjoyment they’ve received from the performance. While we playfully suggest that entertainers be reimbursed for their talents, the performers are prohibited from suggesting an amount or requesting a contribution. The Scotiabank Busk Stop program has received international recognition and awards.
Scotiabank Busker's Festival takes place May 2 and 3, 2014
Want to become a busker? Please call (204) 987-4356 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter is here and spring is not to far away so it’s time again for the annual Scotiabank Buskers Festival. This is a two day event, MAY 2 & 3 and will take place on a stage located in Centre Court inside The Forks Market. Every Busker candidate will be given approximately 5 minutes to perform for the audience and the judges.
Interested in auditioning? Fill out the attached audition booking form and return it to the 202 Office. You will be notified by email or phone on your confirmation date & time.
On the day of your audition please arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled audition time, sign in at the registration table in Centre Court of The Forks Market. It is important to arrive early to allow for parking and scheduling deviations. If you miss your audition time, there will not be an opportunity to reschedule.
On the day of your audition please bring with you:
• Completed Scotiabank Audition Application & Booking Form
• $10.00 Audition Fee (GST Included)
• Musical auditions are requested to provide 2 different 30 minute set lists
Performers who have been accepted into the Scotiabank Busk Stop Program are expected to pay for their license on their audition day, when their license is issued.
Basic: $40.00 (GST Included)
Advanced if selling pre-authorized merchandise (CD’s, etc.): $60.00 (GST included)
Payment Options: Interact/Visa/Master Card and Cash (NO CHEQUES ACCEPTED)
Please review Busker rules and regulations before your audition date at www.theforks.com. You will be asked to sign a copy after a successful audition.
SCOTIABANK BUSK STOP PROGRAM POLICY FORM
REGISTRATION & LICENSING
1) All existing and new buskers must successfully complete an audition held in The Forks Market MAY 2ND and 3RD, 2014.
2) Applications submitted by performers under the age of 18 must have the signature of a parent or guardian.
3) All performances must be of a content and quality suitable for family viewing. Acts deemed vulgar, in poor taste or offensive are strictly prohibited.
4) No amplified performances are permitted on site.
5) Approval for the selling of works of art such as CDs or DVDs must be requested on the audition application and an additional fee of $20 will be charged.
6) Successful audition candidates will be issued a Busk Pass license.
7) Based on performance at auditions, Buskers will be granted either a:
a) Tier A license (performers are allowed to perform inside The Forks Market and outdoors on The Forks Site)
BACKGROUND MUSIC ONLY INSIDE THE MARKET.
b) Tier B license (performers will be limited to outdoors on The Forks Site).
8) Performance season runs from date of audition and acceptance till JUNE 1st, 2015.
9) Busk pass must be displayed clearly during all performances.
**Passes are NON-TRANSFERRABLE.
1) Acts must be of similar quality and content as that of the audition. If you require a chair/table for your performance you must supply your own. Market tables/chairs are for the public only.
2) All musicians must maintain a repertoire equivalent to two 30-minute sets of different material.
3) Performances are permitted at designated Busk Stops only.
4) Management retains the right to relocate/remove or close Busk Stops at their discretion.
5) Outdoor performances must not exceed six sets per calendar day.
6) Each set must not exceed 30 minutes including setup and take down time. If Buskers with licenses decide to perform together, it will be considered as one performance for both buskers.
7) Maximum 2 performances per busk stop per day.
8) No consecutive performances allowed at any individual busk stop.
9) Performance appreciation is at the discretion of the audience. (no solicitation, signage, or interception)
10) Buskers are ambassadors of The Forks therefore appropriate attire and professional conduct is expected at all times.
11) A busk pass may be revoked at any time at the discretion of The Forks management.
12) Smoking is not permitted at any Scotiabank Busk Stops.
13) No alcohol is permitted while busking (intoxication of any kind will result in your busk license being revoked).
SCOTIABANK BUSK STOP FEES are set annually, this year the fees are:
$10.00 Audition Fee (GST included) – payable before auditioning
$40.00 Annual License Fee (GST included)
$60.00 Annual License Fee (GST included) if selling preauthorized merchandise
The 2014 application will be available in MARCH.
Click here for last year's (2013) busker application.