You might not always stop to think about it, but every day you connect with the farm. The salad you munch on, the bread you butter and the meat you eat all has been produced with care on farms across Manitoba! Not only that, but many of the things you use every day also come from a farm; your clothes, crayons and even candles! Agriculture is key when it comes to all of our lives. That`s why you need to come and discover Ag in the City this weekend.
Come see this two-day event in the Centre Court of The Forks Market on March 20-21. Talk to farmers and ag industry people to help you understand how food gets from the field to your fork, come see a food fight put on by The University of Manitoba, and learn to make cinnamon buns with local wheat from Tall Grass Prairie!! There is so much more to discover, so click here for a full schedule of events.
Here's some fun farm facts:
- 1 in 8 Canadian jobs are in ag and agri-food
- Agriculture employs over 2.1 Million Canadians
- 98% of farms are family farms
- The world will need 60% more food by 2050
- Canada is the #1 world producer of canola, #2 world exporter of malting barley, and produces more than 700 varieties of cheese.
Fun facts by: agriculturemorethanever.ca
And if that weren't enough- check out what farming means on the Peterson family farm.