Director (Federal Representative - part-time position)
The Forks North Portage Partnership (North Portage Development Corporation) Board of Directors
The Board, and you as a Director, are expected to:
- Implement the concept and financial plans for the Partnership as approved by the Shareholders;
- Act in the best interests and in keeping with the policies and principles of the Partnership and the Shareholders;
- Provide its Shareholders with annual financial statements of the Partnership; and
- Participate in regular Board meetings, related sub-committee meetings, and the annual public meeting.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by this date. This Notice of Opportunity will remain until a candidate has been chosen. Each candidate should provide a copy of their resume and a cover letter of no more than three pages briefly outlining how they are qualified for the position.
Rates of pay:
$350.00 per board meeting (approximately once per month)
$175.00 per board sub-committee meeting (as scheduled)
Position Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba (currently working remotely due to public health measures)
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, and members of racialized communities. You are therefore encouraged to indicate in your application your ability to speak and understand your second official language, as well as to self-identify as one or more of the aforementioned groups.
The following criteria may be used in assessing the qualifications of candidates for these positions. Verification of these criteria may be validated using a variety of methods including references, interviews, etc. Interviews will take place virtually due to public health measures.
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university or an acceptable combination of education, job-related training, and/or experience;
- Experience with economic and community development issues and approaches in downtown Winnipeg;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors for a public or private sector organization or as a senior executive answerable to stakeholders in the public or private sector; and
- A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation is not required, but is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the mandate and business activities of the Forks North Portage Partnership;
- Knowledge of strategic corporate planning, monitoring, and evaluation of corporate performance;
- Knowledge of strategic urban planning and development, and investment planning;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, senior government officials, as well as non-government and community officials; and
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral.
Proficiency in both official languages is preferred.
- Sound judgment
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinker
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- Each Director is required to attend monthly meetings of the Board (unless otherwise scheduled);
- Each Director will participate on one of the three Board standing committees (Governance, Heritage, and Finance and Audit);
- You reside in or are willing to relocate to Winnipeg or to a location within reasonable commuting distance;
- All Directors are required to sign a declaration in keeping with the Forks North Portage Partnership’s Conflict of Interest Policy; and
- Each Director must have the ability to participate in meetings remotely via Microsoft Teams, due to current public health measures.
We thank all those who apply. Please note that only candidates who are selected will be contacted.