The Red-Assiniboine Junction: A Land Use and Structural History, 1770-1980
This manuscript provides a comprehensive land use and historic summary of The Forks area. Discussion includes: First Inhabitants (1640-1900); French presence (1730-1760); Pedlars and Nor’Westers (1765-1811); Fur Trade and Settlement (1812-1821); Hudson’s Bay Company (1821-1850); Red River Settlement (1821-1869); The Forks and Red River Resistance (1869-1870); The Junction (1870-1908); Winnipeg’s Union Station and East Yards (1908-1980). Early land usage is presented with historical documents and maps. Post-1800 structures are presented through plans, paintings or photographs, with commentary on: the need for the structures of each historic period; the 1846 occupation of Fort Garry by the Sixth Regiment of Foot and subsequent military residences; the formation of Manitoba and resulting structures; and railway structures of a declining commercial area.
Guinn, Rodger. 1980. The Red-Assiniboine Junction: A Land Use and Structural History, 1770-1980. Ottawa: Parks Canada.
[ Research monograph (386pp.)(FNHSC, TFNP, MM, PC) ]