From Backwater to Park - The Forks in Relation to Downtown Winnipeg, The Forks and the Battle of Seven Oaks in Manitoba History
This paper begins with a brief introduction of The Forks, leading up to the history of the area referred to as the Flats. The impacts on the Flats are considered in regard to the flood in 1826, Shantytown in the Hudson’s Bay Flats, the arrival of Icelandic immigrants after 1874 and the Manitoba Hotel (1891-1899). By 1893, the Hudson’s Bay Flats consisted of the Hudson’s Bay Mill, an athletic yard and a rail yard. The changes in the railway is a major topic, with the Canadian Pacific Railway, the Red River Valley Railway, the replacement of the RRVR by the Northern Pacific and Manitoba Railway in 1888, the Canadian Northern Railway’s take over in 1900, Grand Trunk Pacific, the building of Union Station, and the establishment of the East Yard. There are photographs and planning maps.
Rostecki, Randy. 1994. From Backwater to Park - The Forks in Relation to Downtown Winnipeg. In The Forks and the Battle of Seven Oaks in Manitoba History, edited by Robert Coutts and Richard Stuart, 31-45. Winnipeg: Manitoba Historical Society.
[ Article (FNHSC, UW, ML) ]