The rainbow crosswalk just got a fresh coat of paint and that can only mean one thing: we're gearing up for the two-day Pride Winnipeg Festival at The Forks!
On Saturday, June 1, swing by to check out everything the Festival has on deck, including the Queer Beer Beverage Tent and the Liquor Mart Sky Lounge, where you can take in beautiful views of the whole site. There will also be local makers and businesses at the PrideMART, and tons of activities for kids and families.
And definitely come back on Sunday, too! Thousands of members of the LGBTTQ* community and their allies will converge at The Forks following the iconic Pride parade through Downtown Winnpieg. Grab your most colourful clothing and lace up those dancing shoes, this event always promises to be one heck of a party!
For those who have never experienced a Pride Festival before and would like to take part this year, we asked the folks at Pride Winnipeg for five things they think any first-timer should know. Here’s some advice from the pros:
1. Download the new Pride Winnipeg app: It’s free to download on the app store and Google play and gives a full up-to-date overview of all official Pride Winnipeg events as well as all events put on by community groups.
2. Hydration is key: Bring a water bottle and stay hydrated! There are no bottled water sales at the festival, but there will be several places to fill up, outside in the field, and at our new self-serve water taps in the Food Hall.
3. Compost: Food trucks and the beer tent use compostable containers, cutlery, cups, napkins and straws. Take care to sort them into composting bins!
4. Ride your bike: Do you know the bike routes near you? The Forks is 40 minutes or less from most parts of the city. There’s lots of bike parking, plus there will be extra bike racks on-site for this event so you can lock-up.
5. Everyone is welcome: Help keep Pride a welcoming and positive experience for everyone.
Happy Pride, everyone!